Jumbo Lump "Crab-less" CakesPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Rich H61 recipes>
Here is a nice cruelty-free alternative to crab cakes. Serve them hot with a great sauce, some potatoes and corn and you have a nice meal.
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans, 1/2 drained, coarsely mashed
- 1 medium zucchini, small diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Hiziki
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Soak the Hiziki in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain about half the liquid from the beans and empty
- them into a large bowl. Using a form or masher, coarsely mash the beans. (We're not making hummous, here).
- Chop the zucchini and add it to the bowl.
- Add the onion and all seasonings.
- Remove the Hiziki from the water, chop it as finely as possible
- and add to the mixture.
- Using your hands, thoroughly mix the bean mix together to further "mash" it a little. Form the "crab-less" cakes into relatively
- large balls, pressing together.
- Place the cakes in a greased, shallow baking pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350F.
- After 20 minutes move the cakes up under the broiler and broil for
- about 10 minutes, or until slightly braised.
- Remove and serve with tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, horseradish sauce or your favorite condiment.
Leave a review or comment