Loved loved loved this - and so did my family. Great with the whipped cream.
Hint - the whiskey whipped cream was incredible in my coffee too.
Irish Apple Cake with Whisky CreamPrep: 20 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 10by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
Most Irish have a sweet tooth, and this tasty dessert will satisfy it. Legendary Irish cook Myrtle Allen says "Homemade Apple Cakes are the most popular sweet in Ireland." Try this one and you will understand why!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and diced (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving (we used Whisky Whipped Cream)
- Whisky Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Irish Whiskey (or other Whiskey)
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Generously grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg, apples, nuts, and vanilla and stir well. Sift in dry ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until cake is lightly browned and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then unmold and serve hot or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, or with the Whisky Whipped Cream.
- (note: I made a few hours in advance, and by the time I served it the cake had settle and cracked a bit. It still tasted phenomenal, but this might happen if you don't serve soon after removing from the oven).
- To make the whipped cream, Start by chilling a clean stainless steel bowl, a whisk, and the cream in the refrigerator or freezer for 10 or 20 minutes. Let them get nice and cold, but not frozen. (Cream is easier to whip when cold.)
- Pour the cream, when chilled, in the bowl and start whisking. Hold the whisk like a dagger, with the wire part pointing down, and use your wrist and elbow for the motion, not your shoulder.
- Stick the whisk in the bowl at an angle and draw it through the cream in quick, sharp motions.
- Alternate between circular motions and straight ones. Switch hands to lessen fatigue.
- It will take 3 or 4 minutes to whip a cup of cream. At first bubbles will appear on the surface of the cream, then it will start to become foamy, then volume will begin to build. As volume builds, the cream will pass through several degrees of stiffness. Light and foamy is best for topping cakes and desserts as an accompaniment.
- When the cream is whipped, stir in the honey and whisky until it is thoroughly blended.
- Serve the Whiskey Whipped Cream in a bowl next to the Apple Cake.
Leave a review or comment