Instant Pot Cajun Chicken & RicePrep: 10 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by Marsha Powell5 recipes>
This is easy to throw together. It's done quickly. Hubby and I had 2 meals out of it. It was better the second time around!
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- ½ lb. smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning divided
- 1 tablespoon oil olive or avocado
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 cups white rice (I have used regular white, Jasmine and parboiled rice with success) well rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small can whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1.75 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. This helps remove starches that may otherwise scorch at the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make then thinner. Season well from both sides with Cajun seasoning (about 2 teaspoons).
- If you use the smoked sausage, and brown it if you need to.
- Optional step: Soften first the onion and then garlic with the oil using the sauté function. Deglaze with a couple tablespoons of water and scrape up any brown bits. There should be NOTHING left stuck to the bottom, otherwise the Instant Pot will not be able to pressurize properly.
- Then add bell peppers, tomato paste and 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or more to taste and more heat). Stir until well combined.
- Pour the broth over the veggie mixture and arrange the chicken breast halves over top. Now spread the rinsed rice on top and DO NOT stir!
- Close the lid and turn the valve to ‘Sealing’. Cook on ‘Manual’ high pressure for 7-8 minutes (the latter at high altitude).
- Let the pressure release naturally (NPR) for 5 minutes, then release remaining pressure by turning the valve to ‘Venting’.
- Once the pin drops, carefully open the lid. Shred the chicken with two forks, then stir to combine the Cajun chicken with the rice. You can adjust the seasoning to taste at this point.
Leave a review or comment