Indian Stuffed Okra (Bhindi Masala)Prep: 30 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by Mihir Shah32 recipes>
The reason most folks don't have Okra in their first string of recipes is they don't know the right spices to use. Indian spiced okra dishes are gems. Your kids won't like it, but you and your friends will. This dish can be served as a side to Indian meats, can also be used as a side to bbq (cajun bbq), or can be served as a main for a vegetarian meal. You'll love it.
- 1 lb baby okra
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin and mustard seeds
- Prepare your okra: cut off both ends and soak for about 15 minutes in cold water. Slit lengthwise for stuffing.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, garam masala, salt, cayenne pepper and turmeric. Add cilantro and about a tsp of oil and mix all the ingredients well.
- Using only half the stuffing mix, stuff your okra loosely. Don't jam it in there!
- Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a large saute pan - add cumin and mustard seeds and cook for only about 15-30 seconds. Add stuffed okra and stir. Cover the pan and cook on low to medium heat until the okra is tender. Add the remaining stuffing mix evenly and stir gently (don't tear apart your okra). Continue cooking uncovered for about 5 minutes.
Leave a review or comment