Hot and Sour SoupPrep: 30 min Cook: 5 hours Servings: 8by RecipeKing54 recipes>
Hot and Sour Soup-is a delicious and spicy traditional-style Chinese mushroom and noodle slow cooker soup recipe. Ingredients include: Dried mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots, scallions, lo mein noodles,chile-garlic sauce, rice vinegar and is well seasoned. It is a healthy, low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sugars, low carbohydrates, Weight Watchers, vegetarian and diabetic-friendly recipe. Makes 8 generous sized servings.
- 24 dried shiitake mushrooms (2-3 oz)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2" x 2" sticks
- 2 (8 oz) cans bamboo shoots, rinsed
- 2 (14 oz) pkgs. extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 4-1/3 cups water, divided
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp Asian chile-garlic sauce (Or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked lo mein noodles (about 6 oz dry)
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1. Cut off and discard mushroom stems. Cut the caps into 1/2" pieces. Spread mushroom pieces onto bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Add in the carrots and bamboo shoots. Cut tofu into 1/2" pieces, add to slow cooker and sprinkle with white pepper. Top with cabbage.
- 2. Combine 4 cups of the water, broth, both vinegars, soy sauce, chile-garlic sauce and ginger in a bowl; add to the slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or 7 to 8 hours on LOW.
- 4. Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup water, cornstarch and sesame oil in a bowl. Stir into the soup. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes. Stir in noodles, cover and heat through for 10 minutes. Serve topped with scallions.
Leave a review or comment