Healthy ColcannonPrep: 20 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 10by RecipeKing176 recipes>
Healthy Colcannon is a traditional Irish side dish with cabbage and potatoes. This is a must have side dish for Saint Patrick's Day. It takes only 40 minutes total time. Also a healthy, low calories, low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low sugars, low carbohydrates, vitamin enriched, diabetic, heart-healthy and Weight Watchers (4) PointsPlus recipe.
- 1-1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 lb cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- Cook potatoes in boiling water in a large saucepan for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook and stir bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Add onions to reserved drippings; cook and stir 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add water; stir to release browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add cabbage; mix well. Cover; cook 7 minutes or until cabbage is tender and water is cooked off, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add butter. Mash potatoes until creamy, gradually adding milk. Add cabbage mixture and bacon; mix well.
Leave a review or comment