Harira: A Delicately-Spiced Moroccan SoupPrep: 10 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 8by Vicki S Challancin9 recipes>
My Flavors of the Sun is both a cooking school (in Mexico!) and a tour service. I learned to make this delightful vegetarian version of the classic Moroccan soup, Harira, on one of my many trips/tours to Morocco. More recipes can be found on my blog: Flavorsofthesun.blogspot.com Thanks--I love your site!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro, leaves and tender stems only
- 2 sprigs mint
- 2 sprigs parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 14 1/2-oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, picked over and washed
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced in half lengthwise, if desired
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (I forgot that I had wanted to add this, but it would be nice in this soup)
- 2 cups cooked garbanzos, (I used freshly cooked dried beans, but canned are fine if rinsed before adding to soup)
- 1/2 cup broken vermicelli pasta
- To serve: Lemon wedges, chopped cilantro (and/or parsley and mint), and dates (1 per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook for 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until soft, approximately 4 minutes. Add the ginger and cook for an additional minute, stirring. Sprinkle the mixture with the dried spices; continue cooking for 1 minute. Allow to cool slightly before purÃ©eing in a food processor or blender (Note: You can make this smooth or leave it a bit chunky, as I have). Empty contents of the processor into the soup pot. Add the water, stir, and allow to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add the lentils, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and garbanzos. Cook, partially covered, for 35 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Add the vermicelli and cook for a additional 5 minutes or until pasta is cooked through. Check and adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges, chopped cilantro, and a date on each serving plate.
- Note: Sometimes this dish is served with a boiled egg sprinkled with salt, pepper, and ground cumin.
Leave a review or comment