Ham Hock And Wild Greens Gumbo
- 4 x Ham hocks (abt 2 lbs total)
- 1 pch Cayenne pepper
- 5 x Bay leaves
- 8 1/2 c. Water
- 4 lb Assorted greens wash, stem, trim (such as collard, mustard, turnips, frisee, arugula, and spinach)
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 c. Minced onions
- 1 c. Minced bell peppers
- 1 c. Minced celery
- 1/2 tsp Dry thyme leaf
- 1/2 tsp Dry oregano leaf
- 1/2 tsp Dry basil leaf
- 1/2 c. Finely-minced parsley File pwdr Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 3 c. Cooked white rice hot
- 1 Tbsp. Minced green onions see * Note
- In a large pot, combine the ham hocks, bay leaf, and water together. Seaso with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook the ham hocks for 30 min.
- With a slotted spoon remove the hocks, remove the meat and chop. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the greens, a handful at a time and blanch till they are wilted. Drain and reserve the liquid. Chop the greens. Set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the oil. When the oil is warm, saute/fry the vegetables till they are wilted, about 10 min. Add in the ham hock, greens, reserved liquid, and herbs. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 1 1/2 hrs. Add in the file pwdr right before serving. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the gumbo in a shallow bowl and place a spoonful of the rice in the center. Garnish with green onions and Emeril's Essence.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment