Half & Half Whole Wheat Bread (Machine or Hand-made)Cook: 30 min Servings: 20by Salad Foodie403 recipes>
Well it's NEARLY half and half (whole wheat flour and white bread flour.) This makes a 2-pound loaf of bread though you can bake it in two 1-pound loaf pans and freeze one..or smaller pans as you wish. At high altitudes, decrease yeast a little (1/2 teaspoon) and increase water (1 to 2 tablespoons.)
- 1 1/4 cups water (80 - 90 degrees F.)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or molasses
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast, active, instant or bread machine
- Extra flour for kneading
- FOR BREAD MACHINE:
- Place ingredients in bread machine pan in order listed by manufacturer. Select Whole Wheat setting and 2-pound size and crust color option, then start.
- FOR HAND MADE:
- In large mixing bowl place water, salt, oil and honey. Mix by hand with wooden spoon. Add both flours and yeast, beating well. Beat until it forms a ball incorporating all the flour, cleaning the bowl.
- Turn out onto floured bread board and knead 6-8 minutes until ball is very smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top as you turn it upside down. Cover bowl with clean towel and place in warm location away from drafts. Allow it to double in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down, place on bread board, cover and allow to rest 5-10 minutes. Shape into loaf and place in greased bread pan.
- Cover with towel and allow to rise 30 minutes or more until almost doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 or more minutes until crust is golden brown or to crust color preferred.
- Remove from oven and tip loaf out of pan onto a cooling rack.. Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting loaf.
Leave a review or comment