Gujarati DalPrep: 5 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 4by Mihir Shah32 recipes>
This is comfort food my mom has made for as long as I've been around. She's been able to hook my kids on it; Dal is a healthy way to get protein into their diet. I serve it with some rice and yogurt. It also holds its flavor really well as a leftover snack.
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 4-5 cups of water (depending how watery you want this)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a medium pot, simmer (on low) Moong Dal and Water for about 45 minutes.
- In a separate small pot, heat olive oil and add mustard and cumin seeds. Fry for about 1 minute. Don't burn. Add the seed / oil mixture to the Moong Dal and incorporate.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric and paprika and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro and serve hot as a soup, a side, or pour over rice for a really nice snack.
Leave a review or comment