Grilled Stuffed Pomfret with Green ChutneyPrep: 45 min Cook: 14 min Servings: 2by Sonali Pradhan6 recipes>
Mint-Coriander chutney, also known as "Green/Hari chutney " is a popular condiment in South Asian cuisines.Green chutney is added in sandwiches /chat recipes, also a favorite accompaniment with crispy samosas and dhoklas. Today's recipe is a Grilled Stuffed Pomfret , where I have used this green chutney for stuffing the fish .You can either grill the fish over medium hot coals outdoors or broil it in the oven. I have explained in details how to remove the backbone of the fish, you can ask your fish monger to do the same for you.
- Ingredients for marination :
- 1 whole pomfret, a little more than a lb.
- juice of half a lemon
- Salt and Pepper powder, to taste
- Ingredients for the Mint-Coriander chutney used as stuffing:
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 and 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- a handful roasted ground nuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
- 2" piece ginger, sliced
- 1 medium sized red onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, with very little heat, mostly used for flavors
- juice of half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of oil
- The fish is served whole, so trim the fins and the tail portions first.
- Slit the stomach horizontally, carefully clean the stomach contents from the cavity,wash it thoroughly.
- With a knife continue the slit more down till the tail end, then with the tip of knife slowly ease away the back bone from the flesh. Turn the fish over and repeat the process ,this time from the tail end. Gently snap the bone from the head and the tail side, carefully take out the bone, wash thoroughly.
- Marinade the fish with the ingredients for marination as mentioned above for atleast half an hour.
- In the meantime, dry roast the groundnuts and the cumin seeds, add in the blender along with the chopped onion, ginger and green chilies, blend to a coarse paste. Next add the coriander and mint leaves with juice of half a lemon with 2 tbsp of water, blend all the ingredients to a coarse paste. Take out the mint-coriander chutney (green chutney) in a bowl, add salt n lemon juice ( can add more lemon juice to suit your taste.) I have used half the green chutney for stuffing, kept the rest to go along the dish.
- Stuff the pomfret with green chutney, gently coat both the sides of the fish with the same , drizzle a tbsp of oil on top and broil for 6 to 7 minutes on each side in a oven safe baking tray. Take out of the oven and let cool.
- Enjoy the dish as an appetizer with sliced onion and green chutney , can serve as a meal with rice /mashed potato /veggies of your choice.
Leave a review or comment