Green Bean, Carrot and Mushroom MedleyPrep: 15 min Cook: 12 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
A quick-to-fix green bean side dish or vegetarian main dish. I like to use my steamer for the beans and carrots, but they could also be boiled briefly and drained. This makes a beautiful presentation with interesting flavor combinations. The real trick is getting the seasoning right. Experiment with your favorite herb combinations, fresh or dried. This recipe serves six as a side dish or 2-3 as a main dish. Add some cooked brown rice or other whole grain or pasta choice to accompany.
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed & cut into 1.5-inch lengths
- 2 carrots, cut into thick strips & same length as beans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced (about 6 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or lemon pepper
- Additional herbs and seasonings as desired: rosemary, dill weed, basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, Better Than Bouillon Chicken or Vegetarian Base, lemon juice or white wine. (I used about 1 teaspoon total of mixed dried herbs, together with 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon base, a splash of wine,and a few shakes of Kirkland’s No Salt Seasoning.)
- Place green beans in 1 inch of boiling water. Cover and cook 3 minutes. (Or instead use a steamer basket.) Add carrots, cover and continue to cook until beans and carrots are just barely tender but still firm; drain.
- Meanwhile melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions, garlic and mushrooms until almost tender, Reduce heat, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir in drained green beans and carrots and all desired seasonings. Cover and cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
Leave a review or comment