German Lebkuchen Cake With White Chocolate Frosting
- 2 lrg oranges up to 3
- 1/2 c. honey
- 2/3 c. orange juice
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 c. firmly packed golden sugar
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp grnd cloves
- 3/4 tsp grnd nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp grnd allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lrg Large eggs room temperature
- 1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking pwdr
- 2/3 c. half and half
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2/3 c. dry currants
- 12 ounce imported white chocolate (such as Lindt), minced
- 1 c. unsalted butter room temperature (2 sticks)
- 12 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- 3 c. toasted sliced almonds Orange slices or possibly orange peel ribbon
- For syrup:Using vegetable peeler, remove peel (orange part only) from oranges in strips. Mince sufficient peel to measure 4 Tbsp.. Mix honey, orange juice and 2 Tbsp. orange peel (reserve remaining 2 Tbsp. peel for cake) in heavy medium saucepan. Boil till reduced to 3/4 c., about 10 min. Set honey syrup aside.
- For cake:Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 9-inch square baking pan with 2-inch-high sides. Line bottom with waxed paper. Butter paper. Dust pan with flour.
- Using electric mixer, beat first 8 ingredients in large bowl till fluffy. Fold in reserved 2 Tbsp. chopped orange peel. Add in Large eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour, baking soda and baking pwdr into medium bowl. Mix half and half and lemon juice in small bowl. Beat dry ingredients alternately with half and half mix into butter mix, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold in currants. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake till toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 min. (Cake won't rise to top
- of pan.) Cold cake 20 min. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen. Turn cake out onto rack; cold. Peel off paper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover syrup and cake separately and let stand at room temperature.)
- For frosting:Heat chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally till smooth. Cold to barely luke hot. Using electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese till light. Add in chocolate and 1/4 c. honey syrup and beat till smooth and light. Refrigeratetill thick sufficient
- to spread, stirring occasionally, about 20 min.
- Cut cake horizontally in half. Place bottom layer cut side up on platter.
- Brush with 1/4 c. honey syrup. Spread 1 1/4 c. frosting over. Brush remaining 1/4 c. syrup over cut side of top cake layer. Place cake cut side down atop filled layer. Set aside 2/3 c. frosting for garnish.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Press almonds around sides. Spoon remaining 2/3 c. frosting into pastry bag fitted with small star tip. Pipe frosting decoratively around top edge of cake.
- Refrigeratecake till frosting sets, about 1 hour. Garnish with orange slices.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand 2 hrs at room temperature before serving.)
- 12 Servings
Leave a review or comment