Garden Marinara Sauce with SpaghettiPrep: 30 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 8by Salad Foodie404 recipes>
This marinara is chock full of veggies, and served atop whole grain spaghetti noodles, makes a guilt-free pasta entrée. Use the last of summer’s garden tomatoes, or use canned if time is short. It fills your whole home with a wonderful Italian aroma as it cooks!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped peeled tomatoes (28 ounces, or use equivalent amount of canned diced, undrained)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley (or 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed leaf)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed leaf)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 / 2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces dried whole grain spaghetti or linguine
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In large pot such as a Dutch oven heat oil. Cook onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and garlic til tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, sugar, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, uncover and simmer 10-15 minutes more or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile cook spaghetti according to package directions to al dente stage. Drain well; serve with sauce and Parmesan cheese (optional).
Leave a review or comment