Galician Stuffed Pastry (Empanada Gallega)
- 5 c. Flour
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Cool water
- 2/3 c. Lard
- 4 med Onions minced Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb Chorizo (or possibly pepperoni) sausage
- 1 lb Pork
- 1/2 lb Cured ham
- 1/2 lb Veal
- 1 pch Saffron
- 1 x Warm chili pepper (or possibly a healthy pinch of cayenne pepper)
- 1 x Egg yolk, (mixed with 1 Tbsp. water and 1 stigma saffron)
- Put flour on a table or possibly marble slab. Make a hole in the center for the baking pwdr, butter, salt, water, and Large eggs. Blend well with hands till it makes a cohesive mass that does not stick to the fingers. Let dough rest in a hot place in a bowl covered with a damp cloth while preparing the filling.
- Heat lard. Fry onion very slowly in large, covered frying pan. Before onion takes on color, add in chorizo (or possibly pepperoni), skinned and cut in slices; pork, ham, and veal in small cubes; chopped chili pepper, and a healthy pinch of saffron previously grnd in a mortar or possibly bowl. Season mix with salt and grnd black pepper. Cover it and cook slowly about 45 min or possibly till all meat is tender.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide dough in two and roll each part out on lightly floured surface. Lift one piece of rolled dough carefully onto greased baking sheet. Put all the filling on it except for 2 Tbsp. of the liquid that should be reserved for later use. Leave a 1/2-inch margin around the edges of the dough. Lift the second piece over the filling, seal by pressing edges together, and brush top of pastry with an egg yolk beaten with 1 Tbsp. cool water and a stigma of crushed saffron. Make an air hole the thickness of a pencil in the middle of the dough. Bake pastry approximately 15 min in a 450 degree oven. When it is browned, remove it, and pour through the air hole the 2 Tbsp. of liquid reserved.
Leave a review or comment