Fresh Apple Mini Chip CakePrep: 30 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 12by Robyn Savoie381 recipes>
Apples are America's favorite fruit and when combined with chocolate, America's favorite flavor, you have a tasty, nutritious dessert. In season, apples are at their peak of flavor and texture, and since chocolate is always in season, Autumn is the perfect time to enjoy delicious chocolate and apple combinations in specialty or layer cakes and treats. The subtle sweet and moist flavor of apples is enhanced with spices and blends especially well with various types of smooth and rich chocolate. So as Winter creeps upon us and the Holidays approach, make an Autumn treat that is sure to please.
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Apple Juice
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 Tsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 3/4 Tsp. Salt
- 3 Cups Honey Crisp Apples, Peeled & Diced
- 1 Cup Hershey's Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Cup Walnuts, Toasted & Diced
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 Oz. Reduced-Fat Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, Softened
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-Inch round baking pans.
- Cake: In large bowl, beat eggs slightly; stir in oil, apple juice and vanilla extract. Stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into flour mixture until smooth.
- Add apples, 1 cup small chocolate chips and nuts; stir until evenly mixed. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting. Spread one-half frosting on bottom layer; top with second layer. Spread remaining frosting on top of cake. Garnish with additional small chocolate chips, if desired.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: In small mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar; stir in vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth; 1 - 2 teaspoons milk may be added for desired spreading consistency.
- Yield: 1 Cup Frosting
- Variation: 1. Fluted Tube Pan: Bake in well greased and floured 12-Cup fluted tube pan 1 hour 5 - 15 minutes. 2. 13 x 9 x 2-Inch Baking Pan: Bake in well greased and floured pan 35 - 40 minutes.
Leave a review or comment