French Onion Soup with Provolone
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and sugar in 3 tablespoons of
- butter until golden brown.
- Stir in the flour, pepper and nutmeg
- until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter; add bread.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Ladle soup into two oven-proof bowls.
- Place a slice of cheese in each bowl; top with bread and remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Leave a review or comment