Five Star FonduePrep: 5 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Chef Doug7 recipes>
This is a fondue available at the longtime local favorite Rhinelander restaurant, and subsequently Gustav's restaurants, both founded by Chef Horst Mager, in Portland Oregon. I just can't stress enough how delicious this fondue is. Whether you are a fondue fan or not, you simply must try this very easy to make favorite.
- 1 2/3 pound processed Swiss American Cheese (1/3 pkg Swiss American from costco)
- 2 cups Chardonnay or Chablis
- 3 cloves mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- cut cheese stack into cubes (Land O Lakes makes a Swiss/American as well)
- In bottom of double boiler, start water boiling
- In top of double boiler directly on burner, simmer white wine, garlic, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper for approximately 10 to 15 minutes to reduce wine and let alcohol cook out.
- Place top of double boiler on bottom and place cheese cubes in wine mixture.
- Stir with wooden spoon until cheese completely melts.
- If too thick, add more wine.
- Place in fondue pot and keep hot.
- Serve with toasted rye and French bread, and a favorite sausage.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch sized cubes. Place on a baking sheet and toast in a hot 400 degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut sausage into 1/4 inch slices and heat briefly in skillet.
- Serve with fondue.
- This is also great with Apples, Celery, Cauliflower, use your imagination.
Leave a review or comment