Fish BatterPrep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 1by Micheline119 recipes>
This homemade batter is light and fluffy and perfect to coat your favourite fish fillets. Tastes like the crispy fish usually found in good fish and chips restaurants. The secret ingredient in this batter is the vinegar, added just before you are ready to coat the fish fillets.
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 ml) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chopped dried chives
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) water
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vinegar
- Fish fillets of your choice
- Optional: French cut potatoes
- Canola or peanut oil for frying
- Mix all the dry ingredients and stir in the water. The batter will be quite thick. Preheat your deep fryer or deep saucepan with the oïl. Just before you are ready to dredge the fish fillets in the batter, add the vinegar to the batter mixture and stir well. The batter will puff right up and is ready to be used. Dip the fish fillets in the batter to coat well. Fry fish in the hot canola or peanut oil in a deep fryer or deep saucepan a few fillets at a time until golden brown. Optional: Proceed with frying your potato chips and drain on paper. Serve with a lemon slice.
Leave a review or comment