Firecracker ChiliPrep: 15 min Cook: 5 hours Servings: 8by Patti Fisher68 recipes>
We had 3lbs. of stew beef and a few ideas. Stew, for instance, but that included veggies Ken doesn’t like. I suggested chili and was scoffed at because Ken is the chili master…a well deserved title. But, today I actually impressed him with my first from scratch chili. Woo Hoo ! Lots of smoky heat and tender meat. Excellent!!! Note: This was Patti’s first Chili ever. I had my doubts and had a hard time keeping my mouth shut and going about my own business. I was hugely surprised. This chili was full of large chunks of tender meat with a deep rich chili flavor that built into the perfect smoky heat as you ate it. Not for Yankees and Sissies, it was on the Zippy side. We do our recipes on our patio where we have a lineup of grills, including Royall Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker, Traeger, Char Griller side box smoker, Charmglow, Char-Broil, The Big Easy, Brinkman and Weber. I call it our “Wall of Grill”. Our grilling styles are healthy and low fat and will fit pellet heads, gas, natural wood and even charcoal purists. Almost any of our recipes can be done on any kind of good BBQ. The important thing to keep in mind is TIME & TEMPERATURE. You can even do some of them in the oven or crock pot, but, then you lose all the flavors you get from cooking outdoors. But sometimes it does rain. Remember that a recipe is simply an outline; it is not written in stone. Don’t be afraid to make changes to suit your taste.
- 3lbs. lean stew beef
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or bacon drippings
- 1 sweet onion, cut into large wedges
- 4 or 5 Jalapeno peppers, sliced (to taste )
- 1 7oz. can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 14oz. can stewed tomatoes Mexican style, do not drain
- 1 6oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons Chipotle powder
- 1 12oz. can Coke
- 1 cup ketchup
- Using a cast iron Dutch oven brown beef cubes in oil or drippings along with onions and garlic until just lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients in order and mix well. Off to the Tailgater.
- Note: For events or camping/picnics you can brown and bag your beef ahead of time. Then when you are ready just dump everything in your Dutch oven. The Royall Wood Pellet Tailgater uses very little electricity at start up and will run off an inverter from your car with no problemâ¦Cooking Directions: Royall Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker
- Open the lid and set the switch to âSmokeâ. After about five minutes you can shut the lid. Give it about 10 minutes to heat up. Patti has lined the drip pan with foil for me, it makes for easier clean up.
- Place Dutch oven uncovered directly onto the grill and just let it hang out in the smoke and get happy. This is referred to as âSmokingâ or âHot Smokingâ, the temperature is around 225-250 degrees. Smoke for five hours stirring every so often. Make sure you check the hopper every so often to make sure you have plenty of pellets.
- For oven conversion check out our webside; www.datenightdoins.com
Leave a review or comment