Fennel-potato Soup with Smoked SalmonPrep: 25 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 8by pescador12 recipes>
Great starter soup to pair with a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, chopped, fronds chopped and reserved
- 1 large leek (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 5 1/2 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
- 1 ounce smoked salmon, chopped
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add fennel, leek, and fennel seeds and cook until vegetables begin to soften, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Add potatoes and 5 1/2 cups broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to pot and rewarm over medium heat, stirring often and thinning with more broth by . cupfuls for desired consistency. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among bowls. Garnish with smoked salmon and reserved chopped fennel fronds.
Leave a review or comment