Escabecheng Galunggong with Homemade Tomato JamPrep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 6by Joyce Yap9 recipes>
Galunggong is in season in the Visayas right now. If you run out of idea what to do with galunggong aside from frying or broiling it, you can create a variety of recipes or twist to make your meals enjoyable. Escabecheng galunggong is one of the recipes your family will truly love. It is nutritious and less costly. Since bell pepper is a bit expensive, you can use siling espada or siling mahaba instead. Instead of sugar, I use homemade tomato jam for this recipe.
- 1 kilo galunggong
- 6 pcs. siling espada
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- green onion leaves, minced
- 2 pieces ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ginger, julienned
- 1 tbsp. native vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. tomato jam
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in water
- Heat cooking oil and fry the fish. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat small amount of cooking oil.
- Saute the garlic and onion.
- Set aside the sauteed onion.
- Pour in the vinegar and soy sauce.
- Add the tomato jam, pepper, and salt.
- Mix with the dissolved cornstarch.
- Put in the tomatoes, siling espada, and ginger.
- Stir the mixture.
- When the vegetables are cooked, put in the fried fish.
- Transfer the mixture in a platter.
- Garnish with green onion leaves and sauteed red onion.
Leave a review or comment