Eggplant ParmigianaPrep: 2 hours Cook: 45 min Servings: 12by Carolinaheartstrings301 recipes>
Eggplants that are younger (more glossy) tend to have less seeds and are less bitter. At one time I had believed “gender” played a role in the presence of seeds but research I read recently explained that more seeds are an indication of age, NOT the eggplant being a “female”. Eggplants are self-pollinators and have both male and female organs within the flower. But in “salting” the eggplant before cooking you can reduce any bitterness and make it more tender.
- 2 med eggplants sliced 3/8” thick
- Salt to shake
- Can vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 28 oz jar spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash and slice the eggplant.
- Lay out on trays and salt tops.
- Let sit 45 minutes, turn and salt other side.
- Let sit 45 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high.
- Bread eggplant slices.
- Spray skillet with oil and cook eggplant slices for 5-6 minutes until brown on bottom side.
- Spray slices with oil on top before turning.
- Turn and cook 5-6 minutes more.
- Remove to a tray and cook remaining eggplant.
- Layer in a medium sized (10âx7â) casserole dish as follows: Â½ cup sauce in the bottom. Then a first layer of eggplant covered by 1/3 of the remaining sauce, then 1 1/3 cups of cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil under low heat for 3-4 minutes until top is slightly browned.
Leave a review or comment