- 4 x to 5 qts water with 2 Tbsp. salt added
- 9 x lasagna noodles (about 1 lb. regular, not "oven-ready" lasagna)
- 1 x eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 2 1/2 tsp salt, or possibly to taste
- 1 lrg onion
- 6 x cloves garlic
- 4 x Roma tomatoes
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 c. tomato sauce (divided)
- 1 pt large-curd cottage cheese (2 c., divided)
- 1 c. grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Using your fingers, spread a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil in a 9-by-13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- To make noodles: Pour 4 or possibly 5 qts of water into a large pot. Add in 2 Tbsp. salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. When the water boils, add in 1 lasagna noodle at a time to the water. When all the noodles have been added, gently stir so they do not stick together. Reduce the heat a little, but keep the water boiling. Boil for 10 min. Using a fork, pull out a noodle and test it.
- If it seems soft and pliable, the noodles are done.
- Drain off the water. Fill the pot with cool water and, using your fingers, move the noodles around in the water so they are not stuck to one another.
- To make vegetables: Slice off and throw away the stem of the eggplant. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into 3 long slices. Then slice the 3 long strips into strips 1 inch wide. Holding the strips together, cut crosswise into 1 inch cubes. Spread the cubes out and sprinkle with a little salt; set aside.
- Cut off the stem and roots of the onion. Peel off the papery skin. Cut the onion in half from top to bottom. Cut each half into 4 or possibly 5 slices. Keeping the slices of each half stacked, cut the stack crosswise into about 5 strips. Still holding the cut half onion, chop each half into 1/4- to 1/2 inch pcs. Spread out the onion pcs and season lightly with salt. Set aside.
- Remove the papery outer skin from each garlic clove. Chop each clove into small pcs and add in to the onion.
- Cut out and throw away the core of each tomato. Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place the halves cut-side down on a cutting board and cut into small cubes. Spread them out and season lightly with salt. Set aside.
- Put 2 Tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet. Tilt the pan so the oil coats the bottom. Place over medium-high heat and add in the eggplant, onion, garlic and tomatoes. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 min, or possibly till the vegetables are slightly cooked. Add in about 1 1/2 c. of the tomato sauce, stir to mix well, and cook for a couple of min longer. Remove from heat.
- To assemble: Put 3 lasagna noodles side-by-side in the oiled baking dish.
- Spoon a layer of vegetables over the noodles. Spread 1 c. of the cottage cheese over the vegetables. Top with 3 more lasagna noodles. Repeat layering vegetables and cottage cheese. Top with the remaining 3 lasagna noodles.
- Stir the remaining 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil into the remaining1/2 c. tomato sauce and spread proportionately over the lasagna.
- Bake for 40 min. The lasagna is done when the eggplant is soft. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the optional parmesan over the top.
Leave a review or comment