Easy Scalloped Potatoes with BaconPrep: 15 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 1by ShaleeDP1124 recipes>
My aunt taught me this when I was in Melbourne. It was great! I did my version of it and it is just as wonderful. Try it!
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- garlic salt
- Cook bacon until done, but not crispy. Set aside on paper towels to absorb grease and pat dry.
- Cut into bite sized pieces when cool.
- Wash potatoes. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt to the boiling water, then add the potatoes.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes in boiling water (the potatoes will finish cooking in the oven). Set aside and allow to cool.
- Once you're able to work with the half-cooked potatoes, slice them into 1/2" pieces.
- In saucepan, melt butter. Saute the onion slices until just tender; remove from pan and set aside. Making sure you still have enough butter in your pan, stir in flour and milk, whisking until smooth.
- Cook over low heat, stirring/whisking constantly for 1 minute. Add cheese and continue to stir until cheese melts.
- Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Mix in bacon.
- In a buttered 9x13 quart casserole, layer potatoes, onion, and cheese mixture.
- Continue to add layers until about one inch from the top, finishing off the top layer with the cheese mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Take the cover off of the casserole dish, sprinkle with green onions, and bake for another 5 minutes uncovered.
- Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt before serving, if desired.
Leave a review or comment