Dr. Vivien's Hot ToddyPrep: 5-10 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 2by Vivien32 recipes>
Comfort drink when you are feeling sorry for yourself. A few years ago, my mentor, a French physician, sounded hoarse and strained. He had a bad cold and was feeling poorly. He longed for a hot toddy and to go to bed. Today, I felt like he did and decided to improvise my own version of hot Toddy. Ginger tea, known in the Philippines as “Salabat,” has been imbued with miraculous effects on voice hoarseness and nasal stuffiness. I decided to make ginger and green tea as the main base of my toddy. Disclosure statement: This is not a prescription. There are no guarantees this will cure what ails you, but it is comforting and tasty to savor on a cold rainy day. It has certainly mellowed my mood and I am less aware of the misery of my runny nose and scratchy throat. Even physicians get colds too. Make sure you wash your hands frequently. "Gumaling ka na" is our injunction, meaning feel better soon!
- 1 inch of fresh ginger (peeled)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cardamom pods (optional)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 teabags of green tea flavored with pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (I ran out of fresh lemons and used the bottled variety)
- 2 tablespoons of orange flavored honey
- 2oz of whiskey (I used Chivas Regal whiskey)
- 1 slice of orange for garnish
- Wrap the cardamom pods in small cheesecloth. (This will make it easier to remove later).
- Add the ginger, cinnamon sticks, cardamom to a pot with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. I let it boil for about 5 minutes. Add the teabags and let it steep for another 5 minutes.
- In a microwavable container, put the honey, lemon juice, and whiskey. To get all the honey on the spoon, I later dipped it into the pot while the tea was steeping.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks, ginger, and cardamom from the teapot.
- Transfer the tea from the pot into the microwavable container with the honey and lemon mixture. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Take a slice of orange (or lemon) and put on top for garnish.
Leave a review or comment