Dhaal Soup aka Lentil SoupPrep: 10 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 8by Micheline120 recipes>
This is the most delicious, healthy and satisfying indian soup I have ever tasted. It is easy and quick to prepare. This soup is vegetarian by choosing the vegetable broth instead of the chicken stock as the base.
- 25 g ( 1 oz) butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garam masala
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin
- 1 large can (800 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (224 g or 8 oz) masoor dhaal (red lentils)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- 900 ml (4 cups) vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 300 ml (1.2 cups) can of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro and lemon slices (optional)
- Naan bread
- Melt the butter in a thick saucepan and cook the onion and the garlic on medium high, until cooked and translucent (without browning) for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring. Add the turmeric, garam masala, cayenne pepper, cumin and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, the lentils (dhaal), lemon juice, vegetable broth or chicken stock and the coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer the soup (uncovered) for 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils (dhaal) is cooked and tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Decorate each bowl with fresh cilantro and lemon slices and serve with naan bread. Delicious!
Leave a review or comment