Dates and Nuts LoafPrep: 15 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 15by Poornima hegde8 recipes>
This is a sin-free, egg-less and healthy pound cake recipe with no added sugar or butter, yet it tastes divine and delicious. A perfect dessert or snack for diabetic people as an occasional treat!
- Dates (Separated) 1 and 1/2 cup
- Nuts (Almonds, cashews or any of your choice) and raisins
- Wheat Flour or plain flour 1 and 1/2 cup
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of salt
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Olive oil/sunflower oil 2 tbsp
- Deseed 1/2 cup of dates and chop them to pieces. (You can just make pieces out of dates using your hands if the dates are soft.) Also chop the almonds, cashews and other nuts if you are adding them.
- Combine the chopped dates, nuts and raisins. Sprinkle a teaspoon of flour and mix to coat them in the flour.
- Sieve together the wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda/fruit salt and salt.
- For the puree, deseed and soak 1 cup of dates in water for about 20 minutes. Blend it with vanilla essence and oil to make a fine puree.
- Add the dates puree to the flour mixture and give a good mix. Add the chopped dates,nuts and raisins and combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Pour the batter into the greased cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or till an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Once baked, keep the pan out and let it cool for a while
- Run a knife along the side of the cake pan to loosen and flip the cake on a plate. Let the cake cool completely to cut into slices and serve.
- My tip: It tastes best the next day after baking. You can save it for a month by wrapping it in a plastic wrap and refrigerating it. I added loads of almonds, raisins and some cashews but you can add all the other nuts you want. You can also add chopped dried apricots and figs.
Leave a review or comment