Curried Lentil Stew with ricePrep: 10 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 4by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
This curried lentil stew is an awesome winter dish. It will warm you and sooth you with its soft texture and rich flavor. Vegetarians can leave out the bacon and ham. Those who relish Indian flavors can double the tumeric, cumin, ginger, and cloves.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/3 pound cooked ham, diced
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 tsp salt or garlic salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Boiled brown or white rice
- In a large pot, fry the bacon over moderate heat until lightly browned then add ham and onion and cook for 5 minutes stirring.
- Add the spices and stir for a minute.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, carrots, water, and salt and pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer and cook uncovered until lentils are tender...about 45 minutes.
- Put a scoop of rice in each bowl and pour the stew over the rice.
Leave a review or comment