Crumbled TempehCook: 8 min Servings: 4by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
Ok, for anyone familiar with tempeh this is a super basic recipe. But if you haven't cooked it before, and want a simple, delicious, and flexible way to prepare it, then this is a great place to start. Mark Bittman as this as one of his basic recipes in his How to Cook Everything Vegetarian cookbook. Serve it on a salad, over pizza, on eggs, over rice, in fried rice (see recipe linked below for ours), with beans, soup or noodles. It is a crunchy, salty, nutty, yummy treat.
- 1 8oz package tempeh (we use Trader Joe's Organic 3 grain Tempeh)
- 2 Tbsp oil (canola, corn, grapeseed, etc.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put oil in a wok or saute pan and heat over medium high heat.
- When hot, break up the tempeh into the pan with your fingers. Cook, stirring and turning frequently, scraping the browned bits from the bottom until the tempeh is deeply colored all over (6-7 minutes).
- Remove the tempeh to paper towels with a spotted spoon or spatula. Pat on top to remove excess oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- For additional flavor, you can stir in a wide variety of fresh herbs and spices 1-2 minutes before removing from the plan. Try experimenting with different herbs and spices that you like.
Leave a review or comment