Crockpot Chicken-Stout StewPrep: 45 min Cook: 4-8 hours Servings: 8by RecipeKing54 recipes>
Crockpot Chicken-Stout Stew is a hearty traditional Irish stew recipe in which the chicken is braised in Guinness Stout along with hearty vegetables, with just the right amount of bacon and spice for added savoriness; then cooked until fall-apart tender in a slow cooker. Ingredients include, onion, peas, carrots and mushrooms for a flavorful hearty and filling meal.
- 6 tbsp + (plus 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2-1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) Guinness beer or other stout
- 1 lb whole baby carrots, or large carrots cut into 1" pieces
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cremini or button mushrooms, halved if large
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- Combine 6 tbsp flour with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken thighs in the mixture to coat completely; transfer to a plate.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until well browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Reduce skiillet heat to medium and repeat with the remaining 2 tsp olive oil and remaining chicken thighs. Arrange the chicken in an even layer in the slow cooker.
- Add in the bacon to the skillet and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup flour over the bacon and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes more. Add stout and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme, spreading in an even layer over the chicken. Pour broth over the top.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is falling-apart tender, 4 hours on HIGH or 7 to 8 hours on LOW.
- Stir in peas, cover and cook until the peas are heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more. Season with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
Leave a review or comment