Creole Style Butter BeansPrep: 2 min Cook: 13 min Servings: 4by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
Butter beans (another name for Lima beans) are super healthy and flavorful. I've been looking for a simple and flavorful way to cook these, and after a lot of research I found and adapted this delicious recipe. This is flavorful and hearty enough to make a full meal out of, probably accompanied by a salad or green vegetable and some crusty bread. Or serve it as a side with another entree. You can throw it together in 15 minutes which is really amazing given the flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or butter
- 1 small onion chopped, about 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 15-16 ounces butter beans, canned or frozen drained or thawed (I used a can)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- a few dashes hot pepper sauce or pinches of cayenne pepper to taste
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil or butter in a medium saucepan or saute pan over medium heat. Saute the onion, green pepper, celery, and jalapeno until tender but still crisp, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with juices, beans, thyme, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving, if desired.
Leave a review or comment