Creamy And Spicy Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 whl garlic bulb (head)
- 3 med onions sliced as directed
- 5 c. vegetable stock
- 6 med potatoes peeled and quartered salt and pepper
- 1 lrg red bell pepper cored, coarsely minced
- 1 lb corn kernels
- 1 can minced Italian-style plum tomatoes 14 oz
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 x red bell peppers grilled or possibly roasted
- 1 tsp or possibly a dab of honey or possibly brown sugar
- 1 dsh Tabasco sauce
- PREPS: Halve the onions, and slice into thin half moons.
- 1. Put all the seeds in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and heat gently for about 1 minute or possibly till lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly.
- 2. Separate the head of garlic into cloves. Hit each clove lightly to loosen the skin, then remove and throw away skin.
- 3. Put onions and garlic into saucepan with seeds. Pour in 1 c. stock, cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer briskly for 5 min. Uncover and continue to cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 - 10 min or possibly till the onions are tender and the stock has almost cooked away.
- 4. Add in potatoes, stir and cook for 2 to 3 min more.
- 5. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the garnish and simmer partially covered for 30 min or possibly till the potatoes are very tender. skim off the foam occasionally as it cooks. Leave to cold slightly.
- 6. Puree the mix and push puree through a sieve.
- 7. Make garnish: puree the grilled or possibly roasted peppers and season with either honey or possibly brown sugar and Tabasco sauce to taste.
- 8. To serve, reheat the soup and adjust the seasonings, then pour into warmed soup bowls and garnish with a swirl of the puree.
- Yield: 8 c.
- NOTES : Easy to make a large quantity and freeze individual portions.
- REVIEW of creamy and spicy potato soup - lowfat sent yesterday. It was bland. I halved the recipe, including the spices and ended up adding more of the spices plus several shakes of "Texas gunpowder." I used red potatoes: the texture wasn't as smooth as I would have expected from red potatoes. Do not know. Old potatoes Could be.
- I recommend the soup: it's not as spicy as it sounds. Could be smoother, though!
Leave a review or comment