Cream Of Wheat Cakes With Petite Peas Rava Idli
- 1 c. Cream of wheat, quick cooking
- 1 c. Lowfat buttermilk, PLUS
- 2 Tbsp. Lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 c. Finely minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. Petite peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 x Fresh warm green chiles, stemmed and minced
- 1 Tbsp. Peanut oil, divided use
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda Lettuce leaves, washed and crisped
- 1. Combine the cream of wheat and 1 c. buttermilk in a medium bowl. Mix well, cover, and set aside for 1 to 2 hrs.
- 2. Stir the onion, peas, and chiles into the batter. Heat half the oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat and add in the cumin and mustard. When the seeds begin to sizzle and sputter, remove from the heat. Cold slightly and fold into the batter. Stir in the remaining buttermilk, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- 3. Fill a pan for steaming with water to within 1/2 inch of the steaming rack and bring to a boil. Lightly coat an 8-inch square cake pan with the rest of the oil and pour in the batter. Place the cake pan on the rack, cover, and steam till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 8 to 10 min.
- 4. Turn off the heat and let the cake rest 5 min. Cut it into diamonds and ease out with a metal spatula. To serve, line a basket with lettuce leaves and arrange the cakes on top. Serve warm or possibly hot; as a side dish with salad or possibly vegetables.
- Note: This batter can also be steamed in muffin pans. You can also double the recipe and make a second idli in the same pan; just rub it with a little more oil. The idli may be steamed ahead of time and set aside up to 4 hrs at room temperature or possibly refrigerated up to 2 days. Reheat in a steamer basket.
- Serve 4 to 6; 20 mins prep plus 1 to 2 hrs soaking.
- VEGETARIAN KITCHEN, by Laxmi Hiremath. (1995: Harlow & Ratner) )Edited by
- Serving Ideas : Hot Cabbage Salad with Cracked Pepper
Leave a review or comment