Couscous Aux Sept Legumes (Couscous With Seven Vegetables)
- 6 c. Chicken stock or possibly water
- 6 x Carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 x Yellow onions, quartered
- 2 x Turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 x Ribs celery, sliced
- 1 x 3-inch stick or possibly 1 tsp. grnd cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Grnd cumin (up to 1)
- 1/2 tsp Grnd turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt, about Grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 x Butternut squash or possibly small pumpkin, peeled and cut
- 3 med Zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 c. Cooked or possibly canned chickpeas or possibly fava beans
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh coriander or possibly parsley
- 1 lb Couscous, steamed
- (6 To 8 servings)
- 1. Bring the stock or possibly water to a boil. Add in the carrots, onions, turnips, celery, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 min.
- 2. Add in the squash, cabbage, chickpeas or possibly fava beans, and coriander or possibly parsley. Cook till tender, about 20 min. To produce a thicker sauce, smash some of the chickpeas or possibly squash into the stew.
- 3. Spoon the couscous onto a large deep-sided platter or possibly individual serving bowls. Make a well in the center and fill the well with the vegetables. Pour some of the broth over the couscous. Serve hot.
- VARIATIONS: Chicken Couscous: Before adding the vegetables, simmer 1 cut up chicken in the 6 c. stock or possibly water for 30 min; shred the chicken, returning it to the pot and discarding the bones; and proceed as above.
- Lamb Couscous: Before adding the vegetables, simmer 1 lb. lamb shoulder cut into 1 1/2-inch pcs in the 6 c. water for 1 hour and proceed as above.
Leave a review or comment