Cornish PastiesPrep: 45 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 1by Andra Kiser36 recipes>
I grew up with these. Great lunch! This is my mother's recipe as she wrote it for me. And she doesn't measure anything!
- Pie Crust - I use the Betty Crocker box
- of pastry mix
- Best lean ground beef (usually ground sirloin) 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.
- Carrots, onions, potatoes, a small turnip. - enough to make a stew-like consistency
- seasonings (salt and pepper, garlic powder and red pepper)
- gravy browning and thickening. (I use English Bisto)
- For the pastry (you just add water and mix and roll; then I use a small bowl to cut out circles about 4-5 inches in diameter). This step is not the first.
- I brown the beef in a thick pot. (my old Dutch Oven)
- Then I add finely chopped onions and simmer.
- I then add peeled chopped carrots and diced potatoes and turnips with water.
- The seasonings I use are salt, pepper, some small garlic and red pepper to spice it up. I go by tasting to get it the way I want. I simmer this until the veggies are partially cooked.
- I then thicken the small amount of gravy with the Bisto or with gravy browning and cornstarch mixed with water.
- After the liquid thickens, I allow the mixture (which should be quite thick with little fluid) to cool.
- I place a spoonful in the center of each circle of pastry and dampen the edges and seal.
- I then brush an egg wash on each pastry and bake at about 400 until browned.
Leave a review or comment