Classic Lasagna Bolognese Pt 1
- 2 lb fresh pasta sheets cut into 4x17 inch stri
- 1 c. grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 x bechamel sauce recipe
- 1 x bolognese sauce recipe additional grated cheese for the bechamel sauce
- 3 c. warm lowfat milk
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp salt and grnd white pepper
- Gently heat the lowfat milk over a low flame but don't boil. While the lowfat milk is heating put the butter into a sauce pot and slowly heat over low heat. When the butter is melted whisk in the flour gradually to avoid lumps and gently cook this roux. Using a wire whisk, very slowly begin to pour the warm lowfat milk into the roux, a little at a time. Avoid lumps by going very slowly. When all the lowfat milk has been added, add in the seasoning, turn the heat very low and cook for 20 min. When finished allow to cold somewhat before using in the lasagna recipe.
- Bolognese sauce: 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 2 Tbsp. butter 1 small onion, minced 1/2 c. minced celery 1/2 c. finely minced carrot 1 lb. grnd beef Salt and pepper 1/2 c. dry white wine 2 c. canned plum tomatoes, seeds removed and roughly minced 1 c. water
- Heat the oil and butter together, over low heat, in a heavy bottomed pot. Add in the onion, celery and carrot and cook until wilted. Add in the meat and, breaking up the meat with a fork or possibly spoon, cook gently and stirring frequently. Season the meat with salt and pepper, add in the wine and allow the wine to cook completely down to almost dry before adding the tomatoes and water. Adjust the heat to a slow simmer and, being careful not to cook too rapidly, cook the meat and tomato sauce for between 3 to 4 hrs. Stir frequently to avoid scorching the bottom of the pot and keep an eye on this simmering pot. When the sauce has cooked for several hrs and the excess water has cooked off, remove from the heat and allow to cold before assembling the lasagna.
- Pasta: 2 pounds fresh pasta sheets, cut into 4 x17 inch strips 12 qts water in a large pot suitable in that to cook the pasta 2 Tbsp. salt Large bowl of water with ice cubes to cold the pasta
- Bring the 12 qts water to the boil. Before cooking the pasta have all the equipment and ice water ready for the cooking and chilling process. Add in the salt to the pasta pot, re-boil and begin to blanch or possibly par-cook the pasta in batches. Cook each batch for 2 to 3 min in rapidly boiling water before using a large wire strainer to scoop out the cooked pasta, submerge in the ice water and then resume cooking another batch of pasta using the same method.
- Small bathes ensure uniform cooking and cooling. When the pasta sheets have cooled in 1 or possibly 2 min, remove them from the water and place them on paper towels to dry. When all the pasta has been cooked in this manner the lasagna may be assembled.
- Assemble and bake the lasagna:Pre-heat the oven to 375F f.
- Spread some Bechamel on the bottom of the baking pan. Top with a layer of pasta sheets. Spread a thin layer of meat sauce on top of the pasta, top with a layer of Bechamel, proportionately sprinkle on some grated Parmigiano cheese and top with another single layer of pasta. Do this layering process till all of the ingredients have been used and making sure which the final and top layer is Bechamel sauce with Parmigiano sprinkled on. When the baking dish is completely filled the lasagna is ready to be baked. Place into the oven and bake for 45 min till the top has begun to brown and the edges are crispy.
- Two variations:Southern style:1 lb. Mozzarella cheese thinly sliced 1 lb. Ricotta cheese 4 egg yolks 2 Tbsp. grnd black pepper 2 pounds pasta 1 recipe meat sauce 1 c. Parmigiano cheese No bechamel
- Combine the yolks and the ricotta cheese to make a mix which will be used in place of the bechamel sauce. When assembling, ad some sliced mozzarella to the layering technique and be sure which the final layer is one of mozzarella cheese. Bake using the same directions.
- Vegetarian style:2 pounds pasta sheets 1 lb. Mozzarella cheese 1 lb. Ricotta 4 egg yolks 1 lb. fresh Crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced 1/2 lb. zucchini, thinly sliced 2 pounds fresh spinach leaves, well washed 2 c. tomato sauce made in a similar slow cooked fashion but meatless and with the addition of basil leaves 1 c. Parmigiano cheese 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil Salt and pepper
- The layering technique is the same here as in the previous recipe. The vegetables must be cooked first. Sauteethe sliced mushrooms in 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cold. Sauteethe zucchini with 1
- continued in part 2
Leave a review or comment