Chunky Vegetable Lasagna (made with zucchine "pasta")
A variation on vegetarian lasagna using strips of a large zucchini (or butterstick squash) in place of traditional pasta.
- (12) 12" long x approximately 1/4" thick strips cut from large zucchini
- 3 cups broccoli flowerets
- 3 large carrots, coarsely shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 each medium red and green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (or 1 Tbl dried)
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbl butter
- 1-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tbl flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- Partially cook squash until strips are flexible, but still hold their shape. (I put them in a 9x13 glass casserole and microwaved them, a few strips at a time, for 3-5 minutes.)
- Mix together broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers,pesto, and salt.
- Mix together ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and egg.
- Melt butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic in butter about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is tender. Stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 3 strips of squash in bottom of 9x13 ungreased casserole. Spread half of cheese mixture over squash. Top with 3 more strips; spread with half of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Top with 3 more strips; spread with remaining cheese mixture. Top with 3 strips; spread with remaining vegetable mixture. Pour white sauce evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered 35-45 minutes, or until hot in center, and browned on top. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Leave a review or comment