Chocolate Lava Cakes With Coffee Custard Sauce
- 6 1/2 ounce bittersweet (not unsweetened) or possibly semisweet chocolate minced
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 pch salt
- 4 lrg egg yolks
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 lrg egg whites Coffee Custard Sauce (see recipe) Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter four 3/4-c. custard c.. Dust with flour; shake out excess.
- Combine chocolate, butter and salt in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Stir till chocolate is melted and mix is smooth. Remove from over water. Cold 10 min.
- Beat egg yolks and 3 Tbsp. sugar in large bowl till thick and light, about 2 min. Mix in chocolate mix. Using electric mixer fitted with clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites and 1 Tbsp. sugar in medium bowl till stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into chocolate mix in 3 additions. Divide batter among prepared c..
- Place custard c. on baking sheet. Bake till cakes are puffed but still soft in center, about 11 min. Transfer baking sheet to rack; cold cakes 1 minute.
- Using small knife, cut around sides of cakes to loosen. Place plates on top of c.. Invert cakes onto plates; remove c.. Spoon Coffee Custard Sauce around cakes. Top with whipped cream, if you like.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Leave a review or comment