Chocolate Glazed Coconut Almond Cake
- 1 1/4 c. Sugar
- 3 1/2 ounce Almond paste, broken into pcs
- 1/2 c. Unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 4 lrg Large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp Imitation coconut extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 c. All purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Lowfat milk
- 1 c. Sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 c. Canned cream of coconut, (such as Coco Lopez)
- 1/4 c. Unsalted butter, (1/2 stick)
- 3 ounce Imported white chocolate, (such as Lindt), minced
- 2 Tbsp. Cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 c. Sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 c. Whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. Light corn syrup
- 12 ounce Bittersweet, (not unsweetened) or possibly semisweet chocolate, minced Sliced almonds, toasted
- For cake:Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides. Using electric mixer, beat 1 c. sugar, almond paste and butter in large bowl to blend. Add in yolks, extract and salt and beat 1 minute. On low speed, beat in flour alternately with lowfat milk in 3 additions each. Fold in coconut. Using electric mixer fitted with clean dry beaters, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 c. sugar and beat till stiff but not dry.
- Fold whites into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake till tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cold cake in pan on rack 20 min.
- Run small sharp knife around sides to loosen cake. Turn out cake onto rack; cold completely.
- For Filling:Bring cream of coconut and butter to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add in white chocolate; stir till melted. Pour into bowl and cold. Add in cream cheese and beat till smooth. Fold in coconut.
- Refrigeratetill spreadable, about 30 min.
- For Glaze:Bring 3/4 c. cream and corn syrup to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Add in chocolate and stir till melted and smooth. Cold till just pourable, about 15 min.
- Using serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half. Place 1 cake layer cut side up on plate. Spread filling over. Top with second cake layer cut side down. Pour half of glaze over top of cake, spreading with spatula to cover sides and smooth top (reserve remaining glaze for sauce). Press almonds around sides and in 1-inch border around top edge of cake. Chill cake till glaze sets, about 1 hour.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover cake with cake dome; chill. Refrigerateremaining glaze. Let cake stand 2 hrs at room temperature before continuing.)
- Mix reserved glaze and remaining 1/4 c. cream in saucepan. Stir over low heat till sauce is heated through. Slice cake; serve with sauce.
- Serves 10.
Leave a review or comment