Chicken Taco Salad
My mom loves my chicken taco salad, even without the tacos or chips. I make my own taco seasoning to keep down the sodium level.
- 4 Chicken breast (boneless)
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 Tblsps Olive Oil
- 3 Tblsps Taco seasoning (or one envelope if using packaged)
- Lettuce shredded (lettuce mixture looks nice)
- 3 tomatoes - chopped
- 2 avocado - peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 8 oz grated cheese (Monterrey Jack, Cheddar, Colby)
- 8 oz container sour cream
- Salsa - mild or medium per personal taste
- Black Beans
- Catalina Dressing if absolutely necessary
- Tortilla chips, taco shells or tortillas if needed
- In a medium to large saucepan, cook chicken in enough water to cover. Remove chicken to slightly cool. Reserve water for later use.
- Once chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil. Add chicken, taco seasoning mix, and some of the reserved water (start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed).
- Mix salad ingredients (lettuce, tomato, avocado, black beans, and olives). Place on plates, top with chicken mixture, grated cheese, sour cream and salsa.
- Serve and enjoy.
Leave a review or comment