Chicken Stew With Mushrooms And Caramelized Onions
- 3 tsp Veg. oil
- 3/4 lb Mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grnd black pepper
- 2 tsp Butter
- 5 lb Chicken parts
- 6 tsp Flour
- 3 c. Chicken Stock
- 3/4 lb Small white onions, about 1 inch in diameter peeled
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 6 tsp Sherry vinegar or possibly Red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Mixed fresh herbs, minced (such as chervil, tarragon, chives or possibly parsley)
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil over moderate heat. Add in the mushrooms, 1/4 tsp. of the salt and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper.
- aute, stirring occasionally, till golden brown, about 5 min. Remove the ushrooms with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pot, heat 1 Tbsp. of the butter with the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over moderately high heat. Add in about a third of the chicken and brown well on both sides, about 8 min in all. Remove.
- Brown the remaining chicken in 2 batches. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. fat. Return the chicken to the pot with any juice which has accumulated.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the flour and turn the pcs to coat them on both sides. Cook about 1 minute per side. Add in the stock and 1-1/2 tsp. of the salt.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot to dislodge any brown bits. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat, reduce the heat and cook at a bare simmer for 15 min.Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the small onions, the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1 Tbsp. butter, the sugar and just barely sufficient water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer till the onions are tender and the water has evaporated, 10 to 15 min. Continue cooking, stirring, till the onions are brown, about 7 min longer. Add in the vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits.
- Add in the mushrooms, the onions with any liquid and the remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper to the chicken and simmer till the chicken is just done, 10 to 15 min longer. Serve topped with the fresh herbs.
- The author suggests wrapping the fresh herbs in a paper towel and putting them in a plastic bag loosely closed and kept in the refrigerator.
- This should keep the herbs fresh for four to five days.
Leave a review or comment