Chicken Soup With Greens And Shiitake Mushrooms
- 6 x Chicken thighs (meaty)
- 7 c. Rich chicken stock
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- 2 x - inch piece fresh ginger, cut into coins
- 1 c. Green onions, sliced
- 1/2 lb Fresh Shiitake or possibly oyster mushrooms Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb Napa or possibly other green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb Stems removed
- 1 1/2 tsp Warm pepper sesame oil, see note* Salt and freshly grnd pepper, to taste
- Remove skin from chicken and place in a soup pot. Add in stock, wine, ginger, and onions and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 min or possibly till chicken is just cooked through, skimming off any scum and fat which rises to the surface. Don't boil or possibly stock will become cloudy.
- Remove stems from Shiitake and add in to stock. Slice Shiitake caps thickly and quickly saute/fry in drops of extra virgin olive oil till lightly browned. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from pot and cut meat into long slivers discarding bones.
- Strain stock carefully and throw away ginger, onions and Shiitake stems. Wash out pot and add in the cabbage and cook for 2 min. Add in chicken, spinach and sesame oil and cook for one minute more. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper and serve at once.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- NOTES :*Available at oriental markets or possibly health food store
Leave a review or comment