Utterly outstanding. Not too hard, and turns out simply wonderful. Likely will go into my PERMANENT 'go-to' soup recipe folder.
Chicken and Cannellini Bean SoupPrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie404 recipes>
We've been trying out several soups, chilies and stew variations, and this one grabbed the spotlight. The chicken and beans give this soup the comfort food satisfaction we crave in cooler fall weather. If you reduced the broth this would become white chili, but we opt instead for it as a soup. Note that the beans are undrained on purpose, to add flavor and nutrients and make a thicker liquid base. When I do that, I just cut the salt in half or less to compensate for the sodium in bean liquid (the recipe shows the salt amount already halved.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into half inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, undrained
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- Toppings as desired: shredded Jack cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or 4 quart soup pan over medium heat.
- Cook onions 4-5 minutes stirring until tender. Add garlic and chicken and cook stirring 7-8 more minutes.
- Add salt, cumin, oregano, black and cayenne pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, undrained beans and chiles. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook about 10-15 minutes more. NOTE: If soup consistency is thick, thin with a little additional broth or water. If soup consistency is thick, do not cover as soup simmers until it reaches proper consistency.
- Serve with choice of toppings.
Leave a review or comment