Cherokee Fry Bread
Passed down Generation after Generation to all young Indian Girls to attract a Husband. In the "Old Days" the better the Fry Bread, the better the Husband.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening or cooking oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt
- Gradually add shortening and water (add only enough water to make dough stick together).
- Knead dough until smooth, do not roll out.
- Make into fist size balls and place balls into large bowl.
- Cover bowl with towel for 10 minutes.
- Pat out into circles, or cut into strips about 1/2 inch thick.
- Deep fry until golden brown on bottom side, turn and brown on other side.
- You can cut bread in half and serve with your favorite jelly or garnish. Keep in airtight container to keep fresh and soft.
- CAUTION: Watch Temperature so bread does not cook on outside but not inside.
- Watch carefully so bread will not burn .
Leave a review or comment