Carrot Ginger Layer Cake With Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Unsalted butter for pans
- 3 c. all-purpose flour plus more for pans
- 1 c. pecan halves (3 ounces)
- 1 lb large carrots peeled
- 3 lrg Large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 c. nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 24 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- 3 c. confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger grated
- 1 pch salt
- 12 lrg carrots peeled
- 7 c. sugar
- Heat oven to 375 . Butter two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Dust pans with flour, and tap out any excess. Set pans aside. Spread pecans in a single layer on an ungreased baking pan, and toast in the oven till lightly golden brown, about 7 min. Remove pan from oven, and let stand till completely cold. Reduce temperature to 300 . Finely chop pecans, and set aside.
- Using the smallest holes (less than 1/4 inch in diameter) of a box grater, grate carrots, yielding 2 1/2 c.. Place carrots, Large eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, sugar, vegetable oil, and ginger in a large bowl; whisk till well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking pwdr, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mix into the carrot mix till combined. Mix in the toasted pecans.
- Divide batter between the two cake pans, and bake till a cake tester inserted into the middles comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove pans from oven, and transfer to a wire rack to cold, 15 min. Turn cakes out onto rack; let stand till completely cold.
- Using a serrated knife, trim tops of the cakes so surfaces are level. Slice each layer in half horizontally. Place a layer on a cake stand or possibly cardboard round, and spread 3/4 c. frosting over top. Place a second cake layer on top, and spread with another 3/4 c. frosting. Repeat with third layer and another 3/4 c. frosting. Place last cake layer on top, and spread the remaining frosting over the top and the sides of the assembled cake. Transfer to refrigerator, and refrigerate3 to 4 hrs.
- If using the candied carrot strips, set a wire rack over a baking pan. Using your fingers, lift one candied carrot strip from the sugar syrup, holding it over the container. With the thumb and forefinger of your other hand, gently squeeze the carrot strip and slide your fingers along its length, removing as much excess syrup as possible; lay the carrot strip on the wire rack. Repeat with the remaining carrot strips.
Leave a review or comment