Butternut Squash Soup
This savory soup is delicious and filling on a cool day. The curry and garlic give it a wonderful flavor. This is a family favorite that I learned at a cooking class given by Rachel Perelman who is the chef at my daughter's school. Serve with salad and a crusty bread.
- 1 T canola oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2 inch pieces
- (can use already cut up squash from the store)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 leeks, chopped, white parts only
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 yukon gold potato, diced
- 12 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot and saute the onions for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic and leeks and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and stir.
- Add the water or stock and stir.
- Add the spices and stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a blender stick until smooth (or put in blender).
- Return to boil.
- Adjust seasonings.
Leave a review or comment