Butternut Squash And Apple Soup With Bacon
- 2 slc Bacon
- 1/2 med Onion, minced fine (about 1/2 c.) White and pale green parts of 1 large, minced fine and leek, washed well (about 1 c.)
- 1 lrg Garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 x Bay leaf
- 1 1/4 lb Butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pcs (about 3 c.)
- 1 med Granny Smith or possibly other tart apple
- 2 c. Low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 c. Water plus additional for thinning soup
- 2 Tbsp. Lowfat sour cream or possibly creme fraiche Lowfat sour cream or possibly creme fraiche Minced unpeeled apple
- In a skillet cook bacon till crisp and drain, reserving 1 1/2 Tbsp. fat. Crumble bacon.
- In a heavy saucepan cook onion, leek, garlic, and bay leaf with salt and pepper to taste in reserved fat over moderate heat, stirring, till softened.
- Add in squash, apple, peeled and minced, broth, and 1/2 c. water.
- Simmer mix, covered, till squash is very tender, about 15 min, and throw away bay leaf.
- In a blender puree mix in batches, transferring as pureed to a clean saucepan, and add in sufficient additional water to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Whisk in lowfat sour cream or possibly creme fraiche and salt and pepper to taste and heat soup over moderately low heat till warm (don't boil).
- Serve soup topped with crumbled bacon and accompaniments.
- Makes about 4 1/2 c..
Leave a review or comment