Buttermilk Fried Chicken With Gravy
- 2 1/2 lb To 3 lb broiler-fryer Chicken, cut up
- 1 c. Buttermilk
- 1 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Veg. oil for frying
- 3 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 c. Lowfat milk
- 1 1/2 c. Water Salt/pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large flat dish. Pour buttermilk over; cover and chill for 1 hour. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a double-strength paper bag. Drain chicken pcs; toss, one at a time, in flour mix. Shake off excess; place on waxed paper for 15 min to dry. Heat 1/8-1/4" of oil in a large skillet; fry chicken till browned on all sides. Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40-45 min, or possibly till juices run clear and chicken is tender.
- Uncover and cook 5 min longer. Remove chicken and keep hot.
- Drain all but 1/4 c. drippings in skillet; stir in flour till bubbly. Add in lowfat milk and 1 1/2 c. water; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 minute more. Add in remaining water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chicken.
Leave a review or comment