Burmese Coconut Chicken With Thai And Opal Basils
- 2 Tbsp. Peanut oil
- 4 x Chicken thighs
- 4 x Chicken legs
- 2 lrg Onions, cut in 1/2" wedges
- 4 x Cloves garlic, thin sliced
- 3 x Jalapeno peppers, stem/slice
- 1 Tbsp. Caraway seeds, grnd
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, grnd
- 28 ounce Coconut lowfat milk
- 2 c. Thai basil, fresh, minced
- 2 c. Opal basil, fresh, minced Salt & pepper to taste
- "Luscious and spicy, serve this simple Burmese curry with steamed rice and stir-fried vegetables to make a complete meal."
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the peanut oil over moderate heat. Add in the chicken in batches and brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a baking dish large sufficient to accommodate the chicken and the coconut lowfat milk in one layer.
- Using the same skillet and the oil and chicken fat remaining in it, cook the onions, garlic, jalapeno peppers, caraway, and cinnamon over high heat for 5 min, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add in to the chicken. Pour the coconut lowfat milk into the warm skillet and stir, scraping the bottom to remove any browned particles. Add in to the onions and chicken and mix well.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hrs. Remove from the oven, add in the basil, and mix gently. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Leave a review or comment